Friday 3 January 2014

Quick Review: Logitech Wireless Trackball M570

The following is a "quick review" of the Logitech Wireless Trackball M570.  Why quick?  Because it's not a day-to-day piece of hardware for me - I'm expecting to use it maybe once a week and, as such, I won't be putting in the time necessary to do a thorough review without potentially skewing the results from forced usage.

QUICK(ER) SUMMARY

A cordless, 5-button trackball with a scroll wheel.  One of Logitech's family of "Unifying Receiver" peripherals.

For further details, please visit the Logitech website.

IN USE

Actually using the M570 was pretty much exactly what you would expect from a reputable trackball: the movement was smooth and the buttons responded nicely, and actually getting used to it would prove to be the most difficult part.  Given that I have previously used a thumb trackball, albeit not for many years, the adjustment period I encountered was fairly brief but everyone's mileage may vary.

Once I got over the initial awkwardness I was fully capable of playing rounds of StarCraft just as good as I always have been with a mouse.  That is to say hardly exceptional, and perhaps not even all that good, but decent enough to finish campaign levels and some custom maps; at least when the AI didn't decide to gang up on me.

Overall I found it easy and precise, though if I'm honest I would prefer a little less resistance in actually "clicking" the scroll wheel.  Though that may come in time as the button wears in a little bit.

WHAT I LIKED

  • Light weight!  The battery and ball are probably half of it, and the AA battery weighs more than the ball.
  • Still feels sure on a desk despite the low weight.
  • Full compliment of 5 buttons.
  • Comfortable (once you figure out how you're supposed to hold it).

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE

  • Wireless, but that's only due to batteries.
  • Lack of real alternatives.

QUICK OBSERVATIONS

It doesn't include any software - at all.  You'll have to download SetPoint if you want to reconfigure the buttons and the Logitech Unifying Software if you want to set up multiple Unified devices.  Neither of these are essential and it works just fine straight out of the box.
 
You'll want to get used to holding it before getting used to using it.  Make sure your pinky lines up with the right-most edge, rather than your index finger with the raised edge.

QUICK ALTERNATIVES

Very limited.  Logitech also has the Trackman Marble, Kensington lists 4 models and Clearly Superior has the L-Trak in various flavours.  There's also a handful of "kids" trackballs of various quality, and some cordless presenters have trackball facilities.  Prices range from around the $50 to $160 mark but can be had for considerably less. Unfortunately the trackball that is generally regarded as the best of them all - the Microsoft Trackball Explorer - is no longer in production.  You can buy them as NOS or used, but expect to pay through the nose (especially for NOS).

Other than these, however, the alternatives include any other pointer controlling device.  Mice, touchpads and stylii of all shapes, sizes and prices.

LAST WORDS

A decent alternative to a mouse or trackpad for a compact or ergonomic setup, or travel.  If you buy at full RRP you've probably paid too much but when you hunt around you can get a very good deal on a fine piece of kit. Recommended.

LEGAL STUFF
Please note that I'm not affiliated with any of the companies mentioned in this review.  Nothing has been provided to me outside of what I have purchased myself and nothing is expected as a result of having completed this review - it's just something that I felt like doing myself, in my own time.  All names and trademarks belong to their respective companies.  Etc etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment